1640 - 1706 (66 years)
||John Hugg [2, 3, 4, 5, 6] |
||of Castle Ellis, Wexford, Ireland
||From 1682 to 1683
||Castle Ellis, Wexford, Ireland
||Gloucester Co, New Jersey
||Newton, Gloucester Co, New Jersey
||Burlington, Burlington Co, New Jersey
||20 Dec 1706
|Will written |
||27 Jan 1707
|Will proved |
||29 Oct 2007 |
||Cattrine, b. Abt 1639, Of Tetbury, Gloucestershire Co, England , d. Yes, date unknown |
||6 Oct 1656
||Tetbury, Gloucestershire Co, England
|+||1. John Hugg, Jr., b. Abt 1665, of Castle Ellis, Wexford, Ireland , d. 13 Feb 1731, Gloucester Co, New Jersey (Age ~ 66 years)|
|+||2. Elias Hugg, b. 1668, of Gloucester Co, New Jersey , d. 1748 (Age 80 years)|
|+||3. Joseph Hugg, b. Abt 1669, bur. Gloucester Co, New Jersey, USA |
| ||4. Charles Hugg, b. Abt 1671, Gloucester Co, New Jersey, USA , d. Gloucester Co, New Jersey, USA |
||13 Apr 2007 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- BIRTH: Ancestral File lists birthplace "Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England."
- [S686] Documents Relating to the Revolutionary History of the State of New Jersey: Volume XXII, Calendar of New Jersey Wills, 1670-1730 Part I, Nelson, William, ([Original Publishing] Paterson, New Jersey, The Press and Publishing Co., 1901. lxxxix, 662 p.; [available online at BYU] Salt Lake City, Utah : Digitized by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 2007, http://patriot.lib.byu.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/FH19&CISOPTR=56811&REC=15) (Reliability: 3).
Date: 20 Dec 1706
Name: John Hugg
Location: Gloucester Co. will of. Wife Cattrine. Sons--John and Elias, children of son John vizt.: Joseph, Ann, Cattrine, Mayrie; children of Elias vizt.: Sarah and Mary. Plantation on the Maine Kreek. Personal property includes 7 negro girls. Son John sole executor. Witnesses--Joseph Collins, Sarah Harrison and Kathrine Hollingam. Proved 27 Jan 1706-7. Lib. 1, p. 166 23 Apr 1707 Inventory of the personal estate of (£475.10.0, incl. 6 doz. of plate buttons £4 and 9 negroes £270); made by Mat. Medcalfe and Thomas Sharp.
(Research by Chad G. Nichols)
- [S108] Marshall Genealogy, Marshall, John, ([Online]) (Reliability: 3).
Lists emigration/immigration and government services performed; He was a member of West New Jersey Assembly in 1685. He was a member of Proprieters' Council in 1706.
- [S159] Immigration of Irish Quakers to Pennsylvania, 1682-1750, Myers, Albert Cook, (Swarthmore, Pennsylvania : Albert Myers Cook, 1902 (digitized by Ancestry.com)), P 353 (Reliability: 3).
In 1685, Henry and Edward Varman, of Parish of Castle Ellis, County Wexford, by their attorney, John Fuller, of West Jersey, conveyed to John Hugg, of West Jersey, a tract of land in the Irish Tenth of West Jersey, that had been granted to Henry Varman, April 9, 1682, by Joseph Sleight, of Dublin (D, p. 246, Clement Papers, Hist. Soc. of Penna).
- [S159] Immigration of Irish Quakers to Pennsylvania, 1682-1750, Myers, Albert Cook, (Swarthmore, Pennsylvania : Albert Myers Cook, 1902 (digitized by Ancestry.com)), P 386 (Reliability: 3).
JOHN HUGG, from the Parish of Castle Ellis, County Wexford, was an early settler on Little Timber Creek, in the Newton settlement, where in 1683 he purchased 500 acres of land from Robert Zane.
He served as a member of the Jersey Legislature in 1685. He died in 1706. His children were: John, Judge of Gloucester County courts, 1695-1706, Provincial Councillor of West New Jersey, etc., m. Priscilla, daughter of Francis Collins; Elias, m. Margaret, sister of Priscilla Collins; Joseph, m. Sarah ----; and Charles.
- [S160] Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s Record, Myers, Albert Cook, (Swarthmore, Pennsylvania : Myers, 1902 (reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore)
List of Certificates of Removal from Ireland Received at the Monthly Meetings of Friends in Pennsylvania, 1682-1750), P 386 (Reliability: 3).
Lists John Hugg arrived New Jersey in 1683
- [S161] Sketches of the First Emigrant Settlers in Newton Township, Old Gloucester County, West New Jersey, Clement, John, (Camden, New Jersey : Sinnickson Chew, 1877), PP 283-291 (Reliability: 3).